Articles>Number of employees tag
requirement from Companies House
Number of employees tag requirement from Companies House
From 13 October 2020, Companies House will require 'Average number of employees' to be a mandatory item tagged in iXBRL accounts.
The latest templates in VT Final Accounts (April 2020 and June 2020 versions) automatically include 'Average number of employees' as a mandatory tag.
If you are using an older template for a Micro-entity company, you will need to manually tag the average employee numbers. Please refer to the guidance below on tagging older workbooks.
Furthermore, the average number of employees needs to be tagged even if
the number is zero. Please refer to
What if I have no employees? below for more detail.
If you are using an accounts workbook created from a Micro-entity template prior to April 2020, you may encounter the following error message when trying to generate an iXBRL file.
To resolve this, you just need to manually tag the Average employee numbers outlined in the steps below.
1. Enter the average employee numbers in the 'Data' worksheet (see note a) below).
2. Then select the 'BS' worksheet. The numbers you entered in step 1. will feed through to here.
3. On the 'BS' worksheet, select the cell containing the average employee number for the current year and select VT XBRL>Set Tag Easy from the Add-Ins menu in Excel.
4. On the Set Tag Easy screen, select the tab 'BS Micro' and highlight the cell corresponding to the current year's Average number of employees so it turns blue as shown below.
5. Select OK.
6. Repeat the process above for the comparative year's average employees number.
7. To confirm that the item is tagged, it will show ‘Tag: core:AverageNumberEmployeesDuringPeriod…’ in the bottom left corner of the Excel sheet when you select the cell with the employee number.
a) Workbooks created from Micro-entity templates before March 2018 do not have the ability to directly enter no. of employees.
You can either add this manually, by selecting the cell on the balance sheet of the Micro entity accounts where you want the note to go and choose the VT Final Accounts>Insert>New note command.
Alternatively you can create a new workbook; you can then copy the accounts data from the old workbook using the VT Final Accounts>File>Edit>Copy/Paste accounts data commands.
VT have been advised by Companies House that the average number of employees must be disclosed even when zero.
In the latest Company and LLP templates, the AutoHide function for blank and zero cells has been removed from the Average number of employees note to enable this disclosure.
In workbooks created from older Company and LLP templates, you may need to manually remove the Autohide function from the employees note as follows: